Thursday, March 5, 2009

How I know God loves my girls


5:55AM, and I am awakened by cramps in my lower abdomen. Good grief, am leaving for Bora in two days, why, oh why is my period ten days late this month, and right smack into my beach-romping??? So I consume a bowl of cereal, pop a pain reliever, and go right back to sleep.

I am jolted out of bed by my mobile phone, ringing. Head still cloudy, I check the time. It is 9:00. Why is Bia calling me at 9:00??? Aren't they already at the airport by now, unless...

BIA: Trixieeeee???

Now, while this woman has a voice as loud as well, my own, she has a personality too, that is so transparent, you already know by her tremolo when she is in trouble.

ME: Bia-yes-what's-wrong?

BIA: They told... final output... video... none.

The line is choppy, and for a while, I am thinking she's leaving word about a JO she and Acid have left behind.

ME: Bia, what? Final output... video?

BIA: The final output has to be in video, and we weren't told.

I must really be getting old, because what I used to get instantly, this time, is taking me 1... 2... 3... 4... 5 seconds.

ME: You need a videocamera to shoot your final output?

BIA: Yes.

Her voice is by now, breaking. And I could almost see her talking on the phone with Acid crying beside her.

BIA: And they didn't tell us, so we don't have any.

I am needing to close my eyes by this time, to concentrate on what must be done. I know Jao is leaving for Bora tomorrow early morning. At least I've a backup plan. Is there anyone from Saatchi... wait, isn't Raoul a judge?

ME: Okay, give me a moment. I will call Raoul.

BIA: He's not answering his phone.

(MY THOUGHT BALLOON: Okay, Trixie, do not make her know you are panicking.)

ME: Okay, don't worry. I'll take care of it. Just wait for my text.

Immediately, I text the three people I know who will risk life and limb for these two, just as much as I would.

TEXT TO CHIN, MAAN AND JANAIS: We need to get a vdeocam to bora for bia and acid! Final output daw shud b shot! Pls ask nini (secretary) wen or wat time ang flight ni raoul.

Raoul it turns out, has been in Bora since yesterday.

TEXT TO MAAN: Whr can we get a vdeocam? Can u ask d othr teams? Who livs near d ofc? Jao leavs for bora tmrw early mrning. If we can get it to him tday, bia can get it from him tmrw.

The girls are one step ahead, and God is helping them along. Maan's videocam is right there on Maan's desk, fresh from a project she had finished for Alacta last night. In ten minutes, they have mobilized the boys' team as well, and in no time at all, the videocam is checked, packed and sent via messenger to Bia and Acid at the airport.

In the meantime, it turns out Bia has also texted Tony. Tony texts me that Mark Pecson is also on his way to the airport to bring a videocamera.

I call up Bia.

ME: The messenger is on his way there. And so is Mark. So just see who gets there first.

BIA: Trixie?

ME: What???

BIA: We also need blank DVDs for the final output.

(MY THOUGHT BALLOON: This is why I refuse to have biological children...)

ME: Okay, do your laptops have burners?

(MY THOUGHT BALLOON: Must take note later on, of how I am coolly able to handle this despite my panic!)

BIA: Yes.

ME: Okay, here's what. I will get the blank DVDs and send them to you through Jao. Just get them from Jao on the BBDO side tomorrow morning, okay?

BIA: Yes, yes. (IN A SMALL VOICE) Thankyouuuu...

ME: It's alright. Don't worry.

MY TEXT TO JAO & PAWPAW: Can I go to u and giv u blank DVDs to bring for my kids in Bora?

And their separate responses are swift and sincere.

JAO'S REPLY: Sure. Game. Fight!

PAWPAW'S REPLY: No prob. Wanna hav lunch or cofi na rin?

(MY PRAYER:  God bless Jao.  God bless Paw.)

The messenger arrives at the airport with the videocamera bag. Inside it, together with the camera, are two blank DVDs our ultra-efficient-wonder-traffic-head Miss Vi thought best to include. All on her own volition. Thank goodness God for Miss Vi.

Just a few minutes later, Mark Pecson also arrives.

And the Pretties are off to Bora with two cameras.

I text Jao and Pawpaw the DVDs are no longer a problem, but that I am touched that they were willing to help my kids.

BIA'S TEXT: We love you. As in.

I cry all the way to work, touched by the miracle that just happened.

I know my girls will do well.

No comments: